Thursday, October 29, 2015

It's been nearly three years

I'm really good at this, at not writing blogs. It's been nearly three years since I last posted anything here.

Other people seem to have blogs coming out of their ears. I don't know how they do it. What is it that gives them the ability to write, often wittily, about nothing much whatsoever? Why can't I do it? Is wittily even a word?

My employer has gone all social, and we're now expected to blog. We get social points for doing so. We also get social points if we comment on other people's blogs, and again if others comment on ours. My social score is 47. I don't know what that means, other than it's better than that of one of my colleagues, whose social score is 7.

So I need to get more social.

The problem with that is that I'm not convinced I've got anything interesting to say, that people will want to read. This is as true of my personal life as it is of my work life.

I am actually doing something quite interesting in work right now - using IBM UrbanCode Deploy to develop applications for setting up machines for use by build, test, development and service. It's got quite a steep learning curve, and is not a silver bullet, so should not be used for killing werewolves. But for what I want it to do, it does it rather well.

It's also PBC time, which is the time of year we have to try to prove to the company that their assumption that we're shit is unfounded, and that in fact they should give us a payrise and erect a statue to us in front of the building (like they did in the ancient Olympics). For most people it ends up as a compromise - the company agreeing that they're ok, and the people breathing a sigh of relief that they're not going to get sacked and settling for keeping their job and not getting a payrise again this year.

But life stil goes on.

Anyway, it will be Christmas soon, and the new James Bond film (Spectre) and the new Star Wars film (The Force Awakens) will be in the cinema soon. Actually Spectre already is. I must get a ticket.

That's enough rambling for now.

Nôs da.


No comments:

Post a Comment